Woermann-Linie, the operator of the shipping route to Germany, employed 600 Kru at that time.
Swakopmund quickly became the main port for imports and exports for the whole territory, and was one of six towns which received municipal status in 1909.
It is the capital of the Erongo administrative district.
The town has 42,000 inhabitants and covers 193 square kilometres (75 sq mi) of land. Swakopmund is a beach resort and an example of German colonial architecture.
Swakopmund was chosen for its availability of fresh water, and because other sites further north such as Cape Cross were found unsuitable.
The site did, however, not offer any natural protection to ships lying off the coast, a geographical feature not often found along Namibia's coast.
The choice fell on Swakopmund where water could be found and because other sites checked (including Cape Cross) The majority of towns and villages in Namibia have grown out of indigenous settlements and very often were located close to sources of water.
Names of places given by original inhabitants were very descriptive and in many cases those names were retained by European settles who sometimes simplified pronunciations of the names.Swakopmund, Namibia, was founded two years later than Windhoek, in 1892, by Captain Curt von Francois as the main harbour of German South West Africa.Increased traffic between Germany and its colony necessitated establishing of own port as Walvis Bay, located 33 kilometres south, was already in British possession.The German settlers changed it to Swachaub, and when in 1896 the district was officially proclaimed, the version Swakopmund (German: Mouth of the Swakop) was introduced.Captain Curt von François founded Swakopmund in 1892 as the main harbour for the Imperial German colony.The deep sea harbour at Walvis Bay belonged to the British.